Inspired from the chefs at Shreyas Retreat India where I hold an annual yoga retreat. Instead of making a separate broth I used the water from boiling the carrots. I also added white wine that added a slightly different flavour. It turns out thick (if you like thick) and very tasty.
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Cook time: 15-20 minutes.
- 7-8 medium sized carrots
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup basmati rice
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp ginger
- Peel, slice and boil the carrots until semi-tender with 4 cups of water.
- Wash and boil the rice in a separate pot. Let sit when ready.
- Drain and simmer the carrots in a saucepan with the sugar and ghee.
- I usually cook with ghee and not butter. Add the rice.
- Add salt and thyme as desired.
- Using the boiled water from the carrots add the wine. Stir and let sit.
- Once the carrots are soft, add these to the water and blend or puree.
- Add pepper as desired along with more thyme. Add ginger.
- Whisk in the cream using a half or full cup.
© Copyright of Heather Morton, The Yoga Way, 2013. All written rights reserved.