There is nothing more wonderful than a home-cooked Indian meal. While I have taken a few courses in Indian cuisine the best has been with Ms. Sandhya. She also wrote the book, Mysore Style Cooking and serves these meals in her home in Mysore. This recipe is inspired from her book but I have made a few changes.
Course Side dish
- 1- ½ cup of chopped, washed okra
- 1 whole white onion
- 1 whole green chilies (deseeded)
- 1 tbsp white or black urid dal (pre-soaked)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil olive
- ½ green chili pepper (deseeded)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ sea salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash and cut the okra into 1 cm pieces.
- In a large frying pan add the oil olive and mustard seeds. Allow to fry until the seeds ‘pop’.
- Add the pre-soaked urid dal and stir until they become light brown.
- Add the curry leaf, chopped onions and green chili. Fry until the onion changes color.
- Add the okra along with the turmeric and chili powder. Fry on a low heat for 20 minutes and stir regularly ensuring that the okra does not burn. Once soft it is ready to serve.
- Add the lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Salt to taste.
© Copyright of Heather Morton, The Yoga Way, 2017. All written rights reserved.