A great South Indian breakfast that’s usually prepared for the festival ‘Sankranti‘ (meaning a harvest festival). Easy and fun.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 ½ cup filtered water
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 10-12 cashews (halved)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut (grated)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cm fresh ginger (grated)
- curry powder (optional)
- coriander powder (optional)
- In a small pan roast the rice until brown. Set aside.
- Add water and rice with the turmeric powder and bring to a slow boil.
- Roast without any oil all of the cashew nuts. Set aside.
- For the tempering grind and prepare the cumin seeds and peppercorns. Fry them in the ghee along with the ginger. Add the curry and coriander powder.
- Mix together with the boiled rice. Salt to taste.
- Stir in the coconut and cashews.
Copyright of Heather Morton, The Yoga Way, 2013. All written rights reserved.